Buongiorno a tutti! After a magic and relaxing day at the beach, waiting for the sunset to express a wish as soon as the sun disappears, and waiting for the shooting stars for more wishes to express, I am back to reality.
AUGUST! More than 50% of Italians are on vacation in August according to TelefonoBlu.org (a consumers association). Where do Italians go?
72% of Italians on vacation are staying in Italy with 75% of those heading to the coast. The other 25% will visit the lakes, mountains, or Italian tourist cities such as Rome and Venice.
In Italian cities many shops and restaurants are closed for vacation, “chiuso per ferie”, but tourist services mostly remain open. Meanwhile, about 1.5 million foreigners travel to Italy on vacation in August. If you’re traveling in Italy, you can expect crowds on trains and roads, especially near the coast.
In spite of all this, I had a very pleasant Sunday on the beach. We spent all day chatting and swimming, relaxing with friends and family and in the end we knew all the people around us on the beach: ciao, buon appetito, buona serata, buon divertimento. A lazy Italian Sunday.
Toward the end of the Middle Ages, between 1300 and 1400, the foundations of Humanism and the Italian Renaissance were being laid.
Humanism gave prominence to the human being, to the expression of personal talent, to freedom and to the relationship between man and the universe. It flowed spontaneously into the Renaissance, a period of great human and artistic development.
If you observe the Vitruvian Man by Leonardo da Vinci you certainly see the relationship between geometry and the human body. However, if you observe more carefully you can discover other interesting aspects (Leonardo often included hidden meanings and messages in his work). To practice Italian this week I invite you to read.
What about an entire village playing “Tombola” (Bingo) at night in the main square?
That’s what happened in Trevignano the other night. Everybody sitting in the bar, or on the sidewalk, or on the street benches, road closed to cars, everybody checking their numbers, talking with friends, relaxing.
It takes a whole village to raise a child. It takes a whole village to live with quality.
I believe Italian language and culture offer us an opportunity to experience quality of life. I am very interested in the development of the potential and talent that each human being has, and I like to give a true meaning to the word "educare" (to educate, to teach; from the Latin "ex-ducere", to bring out). The best educational experience is the one that allows each person/student to express (bring out) the best of him/herself.